100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

100% Locally Owned, Independent and Free

Push for emergency dredging as major groups meet to discuss passage sand issues

Do you have a news tip? Click here to send to our news team.

Crime scene declared after fire engulfs house

A crime scene has been declared after a fire tore through a home in the middle of the Sunshine Coast. Police and a fire investigation More

Fate of attractions: the demise of once-popular tourist haunts

Visitors to the Sunshine Coast these days will never know the wonders of a wall of bottles or hear their voices bounce around a More

‘Strong inquiries’ for takeaway site following bakery rejection

A vacant fish and chip shop is up for lease following a failed attempt to transform the site into a bakery. Trading as a takeaway More

Fishers urged to avoid problem bait

Fishers are being reminded not to use raw imported prawns as bait, due to the risk of spreading a highly contagious virus affecting crustaceans. Raw More

Bigger and better: grocery store’s $3m expansion complete

A Sunshine Coast grocery store has been revamped with a fresh new look and an expanded range. White’s IGA Mooloolah underwent a 12-month $3 million More

Memories of Sunshine Coast uploaded to digital library

Thousands of images by a photographer who snapped people and places on the Sunshine Coast for more than 30 years are now available for More

Key local and state groups have held a “productive” meeting in a bid to address a massive build-up of sand in the Pumicestone Passage.

Representatives from Sunshine Coast Council, Coast Guard, developer Henzells, Maritime Safety Queensland and state member for Caloundra Jason Hunt met on Tuesday, to discuss the silting problem.

A tidal breakthrough of Bribie Island earlier this year has led to large deposits of sand in the waterway, especially on low tide after rough weather.

Prominent spits have formed at the northern entrance to the passage and within the passage, restricting Coast Guard Caloundra, recreational boaties and those who make their living off the waterway.

And another blockage is looming as sand builds at the entrance to the exclusive Pelican Waters canals.

Coast Guard Caloundra commander Roger Pearce said the meeting was the first time that all relevant parties had been involved and they were now awaiting feedback from MSQ.

He hoped emergency dredging could take place.

“But it will come down to what MSQ says, as far as the possibility of dredging, once they’ve spoken to the (State Department of) Agriculture and Fisheries.”

“And while it was productive, we’re still a long way away from dredging or solving the problem.”

The Caloundra Bar and sand spit, left, at the northern end of the passage and the Bribie Bar and sand spit, right.

Mr Pearce said the silting affected many people.

“The sand at the top of the Bribie Bar (the breakthrough) has come almost halfway across to Golden Beach, if not more, and you can easily walk out to Bribie now.”

“You can’t get north-south in the channel now.

“If you come out of Pelican Waters, you can’t get to Caloundra anymore.

“That was the thing that everybody did on weekends. They’d go for a picnic at Caloundra, but they can’t do that at the moment.”

He said the local boat hire business, cruises and the jet ski school were restricted.

Coast Guard’s ability to attend calls at sea has been seriously hampered.

They can only navigate the waterway in relatively tame conditions.

The mass of sand coming off the northern end of the breakthrough stretches towards Golden Beach.

Alarmingly, another spit appears to be emerging in the passage near Lamerough Creek.

It’s essentially at the entrance to the canals of Pelican Waters.

It’s also the entrance to an an emerging multimillion-dollar marina, owned by Henzells.

The first sod was turned by Sunshine Coast Mayor Mark Jamieson in March and the marina was expected to offer the Sunshine Coast’s first state-of-the-art dry-boat storage for up to 160 vessels, 126 wet berths, a fully-equipped chandlery and full-service marine yard.

Coast Guard will keep a close eye on the area on Sunday, when a low tide of about 0.2m is due.

“We might get some sand bars and that would cause an uproar from residents, if they can’t get out of Pelican Waters and they can’t take their boats to sea,” Mr Pearce said.

“Council could be taking heaps of calls, from people complaining and asking what is going to be done about it.”

Help us deliver more stories that inform, connect and celebrate the Sunshine Coast by signing up for our free Daily News Feed: Please go to SUBSCRIBE at top of this article and add your name and email address.

Council dredges twice a year in the passage, largely to replenish areas of Golden Beach.

But Mr Pearce hoped more immediate dredging could be done, where it’s sorely needed.

“Jason is going to try and get some emergency dredging going, at least to open up north-south and maybe to clear some of it from Lamerough,” he said.

“We’ve got to keep advocating it be done in the areas we’re looking at, so at least there’s some waterway to use.”

 

Subscribe to SCN’s free daily news email

Hidden
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
[scn_go_back_button] Return Home
Share